I love being a Mom. I take pride in being a good parent and watching my daughter grow into the person she is becoming. It’s one of my greatest achievements. I live it, breathe it, being a mom is as closely tied to my personal identity as being a grown, adult independent woman. I could talk all day and night about the things my daughter does, says, thinks and acts. When I say she is my life, I am far from exaggerating. So I have compiled a list of my Top 5 Reasons Why It’s Great to be a Mom!
- Creating life beyond my own. I remember clearly the day my daughter was born. Despite the haze and sedation of the anaesthesia, when I looked at her for the first time and saw her looking back at me, it was the single most awe-struck moment of my life. I counted her 10 little fingers, her 10 little toes, and could only mutter “Isn’t she the most beautiful baby you have ever seen?” I didn’t cry when I first saw her, I was speechless and in love.
- Being called “Mom.” Whenever I hear my daughter call me Mom, it’s like the password to my heart. My arms open immediately, a smile spreads across my face and I drop to her level so I can envelop her with my embrace. I prefer “Mom” to “wife” or “Miss, Ms and Mrs.”
- Getting to do all the fun kid stuff again. Now that my daughter is older, I am truly enjoying doing all the so-called kid stuff again. I love watching cartoons, running in the park just roll down the hill, going to splash parks and petting zoos. It’s like reliving your youth all over again. I especially love doing crafts.
- Reading bedtime stories. I am an avid reader and if there is one thing that I hope she carries on throughout her life, its reading. My daughter is building her collection of books and stories that she thoroughly enjoys and I love watching her face light up when I do the funny voices and her reaction to them. I try to imagine what ran through my head when my parents read to me and what must be going on inside hers.
- I have the World’s Best Daughter! No explanation needed.