We’ve been having our share of up’s and down’s with school, but Princess had a great day today. When I picked her up, I asked her how her day was. She had the biggest grin on her face and triumphantly told me that she had reading buddies today. Once a week, a grade 4 student comes to her class and they are paired up and read to the Kindergarten students. With all the stuff that has been going on, I can’t express how overjoyed I am that she has found something that makes her happy.
Since the Princess was a baby, I have been reading to her. She has a collection of books and I read to her every night. Her tastes vary. Some nights she wants Goosebumps or Harry Potter, Goodnight Moon or Dr. Seuss. I am an avid reader myself. The multi-sensory experience of it gives me immense pleasure and I am glad that the Princess is finding joy in it too. I’m sure that Princess will read books that I think are literary garbage but as long as she is reading than I cannot complain. My mom always read true crime novels and I prefered the literary classics such as Byron and Shakespeare. I am varying my tastes a bit and reading books I maybe would not have read before. I hope that the Princess’ joy of reading continues as the benefits of reading are tremendous and here are just a few of them.
- A stronger relationship between the reader and the person being read to.
- Academic excellence.
- Basic speech skills
- The basics of how to read a book.
- Better communication skills.
- Mastery of language.
- More logical thinking skills.
- Acclamation to new experiences.
- Enhanced concentration and discipline.
- That reading is fun and can take you to places and meet people you would not meet in the real world!