Hey everyone! I have been posting pretty sparsely lately and it is because since Christmas, I have been battling a nasty chest and sinus cold and it seems to be lingering like an old boyfriend. Apparently while visiting family and friends, Christmas joy wasn’t the only thing I caught. I’ve been to the doctor and he basically confirmed what I already knew; I’m pregnant and there isn’t much in the way of medication that I can take to ease your symptoms. So not only can I not take anything, but my immune system is on hiatus as well. Pregnant women are more susceptible to colds and viruses as their immune system has taken a back seat as not to identify the baby as a foreign body. I’ve been treating this cold naturally and here are a few things that you can do while pregnant to ease your symptoms.
- Ginger Root. Not only will this help ease upset stomach (and morning sickness) but chewing on ginger root will release enzymes that will help suppress your cough.
- Halls. My doctor told me these are ok as long as they are the menthol ones and do not contain medication. Try to limit your intake, but the menthol will open nasal passages and help you breathe as well as soothe your sore throat.
- Hot Steam. Boil water and pour it in a bowl. Then place a towel over your head and breathe it in. The heat will help break up any congestion you may have.
- Rest. Nothing can help you feel better than catching some Zz’s. Your body is already exhausted from growing a baby and battling a cold will only make you more tired. So feel free to sleep when you can.
- See your doctor. Seems pretty obvious but when pregnant and sick, it’s always best to see your doctor. They’ll know what’s the next best move.
I’m not a doctor, so before following these tips, always check with your healthcare provider first!