Yesterday, I had thought that it was ‘time’. I have been feeling pretty craptacular lately and while laying in bed I felt a gush and then contractions. I called the hospital and they told me to come in. Within an hour I was in the oh so flattering gown and hooked up to the monitors. The doctor came in to inform me I was having mild contractions but that it was false labour. I stayed home today to get some rest and my contractions were on and off but never increasing in intensity. So I looked online and here are just a few signs that you are having false labour and not real labour.
- Contractions are unpredictable. They vary in length, intensity and come at irregular intervals.
- Position of Pain. With false labour, the pain is often located in your lower abdomen.
- Changes in Position. With false labour, the contractions may subside by changing position or activity.
- Lack of Other Symptoms. False labour lacks other symptoms such as bloody show or a broken water.
- Walking. Unlike real labour, walking has no effect on false labour.