Last month was Rainbow’s 1st birthday. To celebrate, Hubby and I organized a Minion-themed birthday. Aside from the Minion watermelon, cupcakes and party favours, I wanted something else that said “minion”. Of course, I went on Pinterest, and found a recipe for candied popcorn. I tweaked it a little bit with flavours and colours to match the yellow and purple minion theme. Here is the recipe below;
- 12 cups of popped popcorn, divided into 6 cup portions.
- Grape and Lemon jello (not sugar free)
- 1 Cup White Sugar (2-1/2 cup portions)
- 8 tbsp Butter (2-4 tbsp portions)
- 6 tbsp Liquid Clear Corn Syrup (2-3 tbsp portions)
- Food Colouring
- Parchment Paper
- Clear Cello Bags
- Blue & Black Ribbon
- Googly eyes
- Over medium low heat, boil sugar, grape jello, 3 tbsp corn syrup, and 4 tbsp butter. When mixed, add a few drops of purple food colouring and 6 cups of popcorn. I added the popcorn in the pot while the heat is still on as I found the liquid mixture tosses better with the popcorn.
- Transfer the mixture onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper and spread into a thin layer. Bake at 250 F for 15 minutes.
- Repeat with the lemon jello.
- Once the popcorn is cooled, break into smaller pieces.
- Glue googly eyes onto empty cello bag, alternating from 1 to 2 eyes, depending on the type of minions you are creating.
- Fill 10 cello bags with the lemon candied popcorn and 10 with the grape.
- Close the bags with the blue ribbon on the lemon popcorn and the black ribbon on the grape.
- Serve and enjoy!