Like most Mom’s, my daughter’s artwork is slowly taking over our home. I have a special box where I save the special items and have purchased picture frames to hang other pieces in her room. But the Mom I read about in The Star today makes my efforts look amateur at best.
Wendy Tsao, an entrepreneur in Vancouver, takes children’s drawings and turns them into stuffed animals. An idea spawned out of her child’s comfort, Tsao started Child’s Own Studio. When she first opened her home-based business, she was only receiving 3-4 orders a month, but since it has now gone viral, she has a backlog of 500-600 emails from interested parents! Goes to show what a litte ingenuity and hard work can do.
When it comes to my daughter’s hair, only the best will do. And that is exactly why I take her to Melonheads Children’s Hair Salon. This salon only does haircut’s for children and the hair stylists have the patience that would rival that of a Zen Buddhist. Instead of chairs, the children can sit in trains, planes and automobiles. The price is reasonable and there is a wall of toys that you can buy for your little one’s after getting their hair done. There are many locations all over Ontario and definitely worth checking out for your little one’s next haircut.
The Princess' First Haircut
It was has been widely argued that from birth to 18, children cost approximately $250 000 and that doesn’t even include tuition! That is a lot of change! So whenever you can get deal, you got to take them. I have compiled a list of sites where you can sign up from free stuff coupons and samples!
- Free Parent Stuff Free Parent Stuff is an online newsletter that searches the web for the latest samples and sends them to you once or twice a week. Occassionally you will receive an email if there is a special discount that is going on. It is easy to sign up. I have received free Olay products, diapers, wipes, formula, recipes, Pull Ups and other mommy and kid stuff.
- Pampers Pampers allows you to join Pamper’s Village and you will receive free samples, coupons (and no mere $0.50 off, more like $2 – $4.00 off) and other promotions. I am a Pamper’s fan and that was what my daughter used for a majority of the time. I have to say that the amount of Pamper’s sample diapers I received would probably have amounted to at least a full box. Granted not all at once, but 4 or 5 here and there. But it adds up in the end!
- Huggies Much like Pampers, Huggies has the same kind of program. They will send you samples and coupons, and also send you coupons for non-baby stuff like batteries, and other household essentials.
- Nestle Baby Club I signed up for the Nestle Baby Club while buying maternity clothes and I received a Diaper Bag, Baby Formula, Baby cereal and a growth chart…all for free!
- Similac Club For all those who formula feed, you can receive containers of formula for joining the Similac Club. I received at least 4 containers, not little bags, but actual containers of formula plus coupons for $15, $10 and $5 off. With formula costing what it does, you can’t go wrong!
- Kids Free Samples This website offers a wide variety of free kid samples and coupons from an array of trusted baby and child companies such as Pampers, Huggies, Enfamil and Similac and many many more!
- P & G Saver This site provides you with a coupon booklet of coupons for products that you yourself choose from and they mail them to you. I received a booklet of $50 worth of coupons!
It was a miserable day today and I really wanted to take my daughter somewhere fun to get her out of the house. I checked Toronto4Kids.com for some rainy Sunday fun, and while I found somewhere to go, I came across an ad for In a Pinch.
My daughter is in daycare as both my husband and I both work full time and when we first put her in it, within 3 days she contracted Norwolk Virus. Needless to say, not only did we have to pay for the 3 weeks she wasn’t in daycare, we also had to take time off of work to care for her as we didn’t have any other child care options. If only there was a last minute, fully accredited childcare service that you call when you really need them…
In a Pinch provides the GTA and Ottawa area with quick and reliable care services for both children and the elderly. They also can service overnight and sick child care, school and daycare services, care for vacationers and hotel guests, elder care, housekeeping and cleaning as well as post and prenatal care.
All of their care providers are over the age of 20, have full background checks and all of their references are thoroughly researched. I love this idea as now when my daughter, who catches every germ that she comes in contact with, I can simply call In a Pinch and I can still go to work and get paid!
The 8th was my birthday and overall I have to say it was a great day. I received birthday wishes and cards from all my friends and family and my hubby was making me my favourite dinner for when I got home. When I got to work, I came in to find a card on the top of a box. I opened the card and saw the signatures of my co-workers. I picked up the box and it was a Prairie Girl Cupcake.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Prairie Girl Cupcake!
The Chocolate cake with Peanut Butter Icing. Mmm. It was the best cupcake I have every had. The icing was peanut butter, but it wasn’t overwhelmingly sweet. Just the right amount of peanut butter flavour. The cupcake was so moist, and flavourful. So if you ever get the chance, check out Prairie Girl Bakery, you will be glad you did.
I had never heard of Winterlicious until this year. A few of my coworkers wanted to go for dinner and suggested we go to the restaurants that are participating in Winterlicious. I asked them what it was, as I had never heard of it. Winterlicious is 175 of some of Toronto’s hottest restaurants that have lunch and dinner menus for a reduced price. Lunch specials range from $15, $20, & $25 and Dinner Specials range from $25, $35, or $45. Each special comes with a starter, a main, and a dessert. I was astounded! When was the last time anybody went to a sophisticated restaurant and had a 3 course meal for $35?!
Toula Ristorante & Bar
I did last night! I went to Toula’s, a fine dining restaurant on the 38th floor of the Westin Harbour Castle. This restaurant is chic and the atmosphere was soft, inviting, and romantic. I sat near the window and got to experience the night skyline of Toronto. The staff was helpful without being too overbearing and the food was amazing!
This was my view
I started off with the hickory wood smoked Atlantic Wild Salmon with caramelized sweet red onions & fresh capers finished with lemon & extra virgin olive oil emoltion . My main was the Paccheri Pasta with fresh P.E.I lobster in a lightly spicy roasted plum tomato sauce topped with a fresh P.E.I Lobster Tail. And the real jewel of the night was Toula Strawberry Cheesecake. It was the BEST Cheesecake I have ever had!
I especially loved this night out because for $35 plus taxes and gratuity, I got to experience a restaurant thats food is delicious, the atmosphere was warm and inviting and for a price that doesn’t put a dent in my wallet.
I love, love, LOVE having my hair done. Since I was old enough to get my hair, dyed, permed, straightened on my own choice, trips to the salon were my favourite things to do. My hair has been dyed numerous colours, it has been several lengths and styles. But when my daughter was born, all of a sudden things changed. I didn’t have that extra cash to go and get my hair done as often as I liked. And when I found a salon that I really enjoyed, they weren’t exactly “child friendly”. It was my first mother’s day and there was a salon near my home that was promoting $20 haircuts for mother’s on mother’s day. I called a booked an appointment. I loved it when I walked in and there were strollers and kids all around and it was a professional salon. I was sold!
Cattiva Hair Salon is located on 270 The Kingsway in Toronto, tucked away in the Stath Humber Plaza, and has been my sole salon since I have lived here. It was rated the 2nd best salon in Toronto by the Toronto Sun. It was one fateful summer that I was outside playing with my daughter when I met a neighbour of mine whose son was the same age as my daughter. As we began to talk, it turns out that she worked there. I asked her about her life as a hairstylist.
Julie at one of her shows
Julie has worked in the business for 16 years and has worked for some major hair companies like Loreal and Schwarzkopf. She has worked for magazines, has herself worked on fashion shows and has worked and traveled the globe. She put all that behind her and returned to the salon when she became a mother herself. She has 2 young sons, whom I know and adore, and works 6 days a week tirelessly making ragged moms like me look good. She is truly talented. I have never ever walked out of her chair without being absolutely happy with my hair.
Cattiva also has Mommy Monday’s where you can bring your tot and strollers in while you get your hair done. It is reasonably priced and that alone you can’t go wrong. You can call and book an appointment 416-239-7741. Be sure to ask for Julie, you won’t regret it.