Giving birth can make you exhausted so it’s not surprising that women sigh with relief after it’s all over. Here are my top 5 favourite things after giving birth.
- The Baby. Obviously, this is number 1. Seeing the face of your little one and counting all the toes and fingers and giving kisses. Seeing my children’s faces for the first time was simply unforgettable.
- Showering. OMG! This is easily my second favourite. I cannot tell you how good it felt to finally have a shower. You feel so sticky and sweaty and to have that hot water wash it all away is just spectacular. After 32 hours labour and a C-section with the Rainbow, it was almost 3 days before I could shower. I was afraid that after my shower he wouldn’t be able to recognize me. “You’re not my mom. My mom smells like sweat, blood and local anaesthetic.”
- Eating. With epidurals and chances of caesarean, more often than not, the only thing you can eat while in labour is ice chips and we all know how filling they are. After my C-section, I made hubby to a food run. It had been 2 days of no food and I was HUNGRY! And let’s be honest, hospital food isn’t that great.
- Laying on your Back. I’m a back sleeper. I have my pillow under my neck and one under my knees and I have to say sleeping on my side was one of my least favourite things about being pregnant. Too bad now I barely sleep because I have an infant who has his days and nights mixed up.
- Sleeping in your own bed. I was so happy to finally get home and crash into my bed. After soaking my hospital beds with amniotic fluid, blood and sweat, I just wanted my nice clean sheets, with my nice fluffy pillows in a room that didn’t smell like a sterile hospital.