I’m always keeping an eye out for ways to save money now that I’m on maternity leave. I wrote a post on saving money when buying baby stuff and in this post I will be dealing directly with diapers. Since our Rainbow has come home, he has surprised and impressed us with his ability to fill copious amounts of diapers. Hubby and I stocked up on diapers when we could prior to his birth but we have already had to do a few diaper runs. Being a big boy, he outgrew the newborn size within a first few days leaving us with 2 packs we never even opened. So here are a few ways to save money on diapers and it doesn’t involve changing them less.
- Store Brands. Some people swear buy them or curse them, but store brands are generally less expensive and do go on sale periodically like brand name diapers.
- Coupons. I am a fan of these and I have a few selected sites that sends me high value coupons to my favourite brands.
- Reward Programs. Pampers and Huggies both offer rewards programs and will occasionally send you free samples in the mail.
- In Store Promotions. Right now, Shopper’s Drugmart has a promotion going on with diapers where there is a $4 off coupon attached to each diaper product. They also have a Optimum Points and V.I.B. program and for simply signing up, I received 2 full packs of diapers as well as high value optimum point coupons.
I didn’t include cloth diapers as I don’t use them and I’m not fully aware of the cost effectiveness on them. I have friends who swear by them however, so I’d welcome any input on cloth 🙂
June – and school is over soon!
Then all we’ll do each day
Is play and play – hooray!
Summer arrives June 21st – the longest day of the year.
We’ll laze on the grass and listen, and hear:
Bees buzzing! Hummingbirds whirring! Worms wiggling!
June is laughing, golden, giggling!
Today I’ll visit the book and di in my toes.
I’ll perch at the edge, and hope a butterfly lands on
By Patricia Scarry
Yesterday, I had thought that it was ‘time’. I have been feeling pretty craptacular lately and while laying in bed I felt a gush and then contractions. I called the hospital and they told me to come in. Within an hour I was in the oh so flattering gown and hooked up to the monitors. The doctor came in to inform me I was having mild contractions but that it was false labour. I stayed home today to get some rest and my contractions were on and off but never increasing in intensity. So I looked online and here are just a few signs that you are having false labour and not real labour.
- Contractions are unpredictable. They vary in length, intensity and come at irregular intervals.
- Position of Pain. With false labour, the pain is often located in your lower abdomen.
- Changes in Position. With false labour, the contractions may subside by changing position or activity.
- Lack of Other Symptoms. False labour lacks other symptoms such as bloody show or a broken water.
- Walking. Unlike real labour, walking has no effect on false labour.
I woke up with a gray hair right on the top of my head. I’m only 27 and thought to myself “I’m too young for this.” But after this first, I know why. The Princess was invited to a birthday party today and like all the other parties, parents are welcome to stay. Not this one. I was not at all prepared for it. In all the correspondence I had with the Mom, not once did she mention that parents were not to stay. So when the Princess and I arrived, she took the Princess’ jacket and informed me pick up time was at 3:30. I must have had a bizarre look on my face. I choked a little bit and then went and said my goodbye’s to the Princess and informed her I would be back later. I walked outside and immediately called Hubby.
“They won’t let me stay. I don’t feel right about this. She’s only 4,” I stammered, holding back the tears.
He agreed that it was a little weird but said she’d probably be ok.
So like a crazy woman, I went to the coffee shop across the street and watched through the window. I constantly watched my clock and then made periodical walk-by’s. In my opinion, 4 years old is not old enough to be left alone. I’m sure I looked crazy but it’s my job to keep her safe.
At 3:15, I picked her up early and she was just fine. So despite walking up and down the street, holding back the tears, the Princess survived her first birthday party without me.
Everyone says that you get less Zz’s while pregnant but the dreams you do have are much more vivid when pregnant. Many believe that the additional hormones are to blame for the heavier dream load and the constant tossing and turning makes you interrupt the REM cycle therefore remembering more dreams in sometimes more vivid details. I have been having my fair share of bizarre dreams and here are just a few.
- Very early on I had a dream that I gave birth early to a baby boy (psychic maybe?) and he was deformed but my Dad was cuddling him nonetheless. Apparently these dreams represent an anxiety about the babies health. It is likely since early on we were worried we would lose it, my subconscious was going into worry overdrive.
- This one was truly weird but I dreamt that Hubby and I were camping on a beach and the entire campsite was being attacked by Bigfoot. We tried to trap it with a dummy made out of carrot (???) but it ended up just throwing carrot sticks at us. Then somehow the Bigfoot pushed a woman into the water where she was circled by sharks. Dream decipherers believe that dreams of being attacked by animals, albeit fictitious animals, represents a fear of vulnerability. Or I ate too many Tums before bed.
- Lately I’ve been dreaming about loved ones that have passed on. My Nan, Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles, and last night dreamt of my family dog I had as a kid, have been a mainstay in my dreams. Some may not believe this, but I like to believe that people we love will visit us in our dreams to let us know things will be ok. However, dreams of relatives who have passed away may be the subconscious’ way of connecting the old and new generations. But it usually leaves me reaching for tissues when I wake up. Hormones and sad memories equal a whole box of Kleenex used and in the trash.
- I have also had very vivid dreams about certain people in popular culture. I had a dream I was on tour with the Jonas Brother’s, whose music I have never listened to and then the other night I had a very realistic dream about Snooki. Somehow the cast of Jersey Shore (a show I don’t watch) and I were visiting my sister who was building a house. I then turned to Snooki and said “It is a sad thing that future generations will look back and realize you would be considered an influential person during that time.” It’s even more sad when you wake up and realize that is true.
What crazy dreams did you have when you were expecting?
I am happy to announce we are in our final stretch of this pregnancy. We are now 29 weeks pregnant and so far everything has gone well. We did have a bit of a scare a few weeks ago with some unexpected light bleeding, chest pains and fainting, but after going to the hospital (better safe than sorry), our Rainbow is doing really well and I am ok. Turns out baby is sitting really low and sitting on a nerve, cutting off blood supply which caused the chest pains and fainting. I now have to be constantly moving, like I’m not tired enough, to encourage blood flow throughout. But overall baby boy is kicking like crazy, my dreams are more and more vivid, and we are anxiously awaiting his arrival.
It’s hard to believe that time is flying as fast as it is and that it won’t be too long before I’m off on maternity leave, holding my baby boy and chasing after my very active little girl. I have fears of how I’m going to handle two children, a newborn who’ll be up all night and an early riser 4 year old who will be up all day. In the end, I cannot wait to add to our family and start another chapter of our life.